Site menu:

Site search

• ""
    over a year ago
  • The Grooms

Photobucket

Checking In – Two Days After Realizing Our Photo Was Turned Into Attack Ads

UPDATE:

As you recall from our last post, we were really hoping that LAMBDA Legal would take up our cause. After a couple days of phone conversations were told today, “we are not going to pursue your case at this time.” There is still no word from GLAAD despite our voicemail and two emails.

We assumed there would be at least a couple of representatives who have experience fighting issues such as ours from national LGBTQ organizations wanting to assist us. However, friends and friends-of-friends have been our major supporters thus far and have referred us to a few attorneys. Some of those attorneys advise that going down the legal road might not be our best option; that this may be a fight best fought in the court of public opinion. If that is the case, we are going to need the backing of each and every one of you. We are going to have to reach newspapers, blogs, radio and television broadcasts, and other media outlets.

We are still weighing all options in the hopes that the road we are supposed to take presents itself.

The good news is – the story is making national headlines now.

On another note – people have been asking about our well-being.
    Answer: We are exhausted. We are constantly researching the internet and posting information and updates on our Facebook page, and speaking with friends and referrals. We are replying to every email, Facebook message, and voicemail we receive – and if we haven’t gotten back to you yet, we are very sorry. Even Tom and I have not had a moment to ourselves. Tonight Tom came up to me and hugged me while I was typing up a letter to someone who contacted us on this blog. He said to me, “I don’t think I have had a chance to really hug you since this whole thing began on Wednesday.” I got up, turned around and just hugged him. We stayed that way – like penguins – for about 5 minutes.

It’s amazing how love can give you so much endurance.

Here’s to the fight!

Brian

In the News (Updated):

Yesterday:

Comments

Comment from Shannon
    Time June 30, 2012 at 12:47 am

Keep letting us know what we can do and how we can help! None of us are going to let this happen to you without a fight! There may be small minded people out there, but it is so wonderful to see so many loving and supportive people responding to your situation! It renews my faith in people. Keep fighting the good fight, guys! ;)

Comment from Su
    Time June 30, 2012 at 5:34 am

Let me know what we can do here. I have shared your story with everyone I can think of and everyone’s reaction was disgust. Remember that you have a lot of support and to lean on that support. Most importantly, in times like this don’t forget to lean on each other! You need more penguin hugs!!!! Love ya guys!!!

Comment from Lisa
    Time June 30, 2012 at 8:08 am

I am going to keep shouting about this from the rooftops until we are heard. I am still just sick that this is happening to you, but I completely agree with my pal Shannon that the fact that there are so many people behind you is absolutely inspiring and renews my faith in people. I hope that you are realizing that despite the fact that this awful group was spreading hate, it has backfired on them in that it has inspired people to show just how much they love you. xx

Comment from Reginald
    Time July 1, 2012 at 10:54 am

As a gay photographer, I cannot tell you how dismayed I am that Lambda legal chose not to pursue your case. You two have been egregiously wronged and deserve justice. This seems a clear COPYRIGHT infringement case to me, and I hope Kristina Hill joins you your battle. If you two do not have sufficient legal standing, it would seem she would! What this group has done is just plain WRONG! It is not parody as this group disingenuously suggests and saying that they do not profit from their theft does not diminish the fact that it IS theft. A political article would have left the image in the original form. This is a derivative work, taken out of context for their own aims! DO NOT GIVE UP! PLEASE PURSUE THIS LEGALLY until you find someone to take the case. I would go to law school to represent you!

Comment from Victoria KP
    Time July 1, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Your story caught my attention when several members of the Marist community posted it on Facebook (I’m class of 93). I’ve just come home from traveling with my family and intend to publish a post on my blog this week. I’m outraged that this happened to you, but at the same time I’m glad to see so many people supporting you. Best of luck!

Comment from Pissed Off Aunt
    Time July 1, 2012 at 7:15 pm

The last I knew this is America home of the free land of the brave so if your gay or straight or do cats thats no ones business. Unfortunately the politicians have lost sight of our constitutional
    rights. Better watch out I hope you all get voted out. We are really angry out here with your spy ware and cameras you may think we are
    sleeping but believe me we are wide awake and sick and tired of the stupid games you politicians play especially you REPUBLICANS lets get AMERICA back to the people.

Write a comment